As the fall approaches we crave flavourful and hearty seasonal dishes. Try this simple and elegant recipe for creamy Roasted Pumpkin Soup. It pairs perfectly with the Kendall-Jackson Vintner’s Reserve Chardonnay. Rich and creamy with notes of butter and tropical fruit, this wine complements the vegetal creaminess of the pumpkin and coconut milk.Ingredients:
● 4 tablespoons olive oil
● 1 medium sized pumpkin
● 1 yellow onion
● 6 cloves of garlic
● 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
● 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
● 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
● 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
● 1⁄4 teaspoon cloves
● 3 cups vegetable broth
● 1 cup coconut milk or cream
● 2 tablespoons maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
2. Cut the pumpkin into eighths, remove the seeds and brush with olive oil. Roast for 45-60 minutes.
3. Add in the olive oil, garlic and salt into a large pot on medium-high heat.
4. Take the skin off the roasted pumpkin and add into the pot with the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, maple syrup and pepper.
5. Pour in the vegetable broth and coconut milk. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Use an immersion blender to give the soup a smooth and creamy texture.
7. Use the roasted seeds as a decorative topping.
The rich, full-bodied barrel-fermented Kendall-Jackson Vintner’s Reserve Chardonnay is as lively and fresh as the California sun. Add to the above recipe char-grilled corn on the cob and grilled chicken!
Adam Waxman is an award winning travel journalist focusing on food, wine and well being. As well as an actor in film, television and formerly, the Stratford Festival, he is the Publisher of DINE and Destinations magazine.