From Wine Country to Cheese Trails to epicurean delights, Northern California has it all. Here are six ideas for things to do in Northern California that are not to be missed.
- Drive along the coastal road of Bodega Bay, location of The Birds, and stop at every quaint shop within beautiful natural vistas. Crab shacks like Spud Point Crab Company cook up whole crabs, crab cakes, sandwiches and cocktails, and the most generous chowder imaginable. On the ocean-side patio of Gourmet au Bay we wine surf with flights of locally curated wines paired with selected local cheeses.
- The primeval forest of the Armstrong Redwoods is a majestic land of giants. Trees wide enough for a house and as tall as an office tower are up to 1,000 years old. A layer of fog adds a mysterious Twilight vibe to this awe-inspiring hike. Follow it up with a refreshing kayak down the winding Russian River toward the ocean. Getaway Adventures offers customized trips to actively explore all the exhilarating outdoor adventures of Sonoma.
- Savour a dreamy variety of cheese and the burgeoning craft brewery scene. Follow the Sonoma Marin Cheese Trail and beer hop Sonoma’s beer trail.
- Beer baptism. The Auberge Spa At Calistoga Ranch offers an ale immersion in a hop-infused bath while enjoying local craft beer and a selection of artisan nuts.
- High above the vineyards, Napa Valley Aloft hot air balloon rides float like portraits in the sky. Sip and survey from above.
- Stroll the Oxbow Market for all your epicurean needs. Ritual Coffee offers a flight of three different single origin drip coffees. Oxbow Cheese & Wine Merchant serves artisanal local cheese boards with flights of local wines. Hog Island Oyster Co. shucks and grills today’s catch. Model Bakery bakes deliciously warm, crisp and soft English muffins stuffed with eggs, bacon and cheddar.
Adam Waxman is an award winning travel journalist focusing on food, wine and well being. As well as an actor in film, television and formerly, the Stratford Festival, he is the Associate Publisher and Executive Editor of DINE and Destinations magazine.